Locations & Buildings
The College of Liberal Arts is comprised of thirteen academic departments. Centers and institutes associated with the college provide public service, conduct research and share information. Faculty and staff are located in over 14 buildings throughout the Texas A&M University campus, predominately centered on the main campus around the historic Academic Plaza. The Dean’s Office is located in the Coke building. Our building diversity helps preserve the historic atmosphere and focuses on educational studies. A few of our buildings are featured below.
The Academic Building (ACAD) is one of seven buildings on campus over 100 years old and a landmark structure for Texas A&M. Standing on the site of Old Main, the four-story beaux-art classical style building was completed in 1914, and originally housed the university library. It is now home to three departments: Hispanic studies, international studies, and sociology. The building and Academic Plaza in front are often referred to as the “crossroads of the campus.”
Constructed in 1912 as the Mechanical and Engineering Building, Bolton Hall (BLTN) is located across from Nagle Hall in the Academic Plaza. In 1921, students used the building to broadcast what is believed to be the first play-by-play of a football game. It was renamed in 1939 for Frank Bolton, who was the head of the electrical engineering department and later served as acting college president. Completely renovated in 1989, the building is home to the communication department. The historic Century Tree is in front of the building.
The Liberal Arts & Humanities Building (LAAH) is one of the newer buildings on campus, opening in 2013. The five-story, 124,000 square-foot structure is located in the historic core of campus, east of the Glasscock Building. As part of its green design, the building features a huge water cistern and a light-reflecting roof. Inside this state-of-the-art facility are the Departments of English and Performance Studies, which were previously spread over five buildings. LAAH also houses the Center of Digital Humanities Research (CoDHR).